EDNA IDELLE (SINNAMON) BALZAR (ab.1881 – 1943)
Governor Frederick B. Balzar (1927 – 1934) Died in office 3/21/34
The information below has been compiled from a variety of sources. If the reader has access to information that can be documented and that will correct or add to this woman’s biographical information, please contact the Nevada Women’s History Project.
At A Glance:
Born: 1882 (Bridgeport CA)
Died: 5 Jan 1943 (Reno NV)
Burial: Reno, NV
Maiden Name: Edna Idelle “Idelle” Sinnamon
Race/Nationality/Ethnic Background: Caucasian
Married: 5 Nov 1907 (Independence CA)
Primary City and County of Residence and Work:
Carson City, Reno NV
Major Fields of Work: First Lady
Other Role Identities: Wife, Mother
Obituary: Not Released
- “Nevada’s First Lady, who presided as hostess…“ Nevada State Journal [Reno] 1 Feb 1927, sec. Society in and Around Reno:4. Print.
- “Mrs. Balzar Dies At Home Today: was widow of Governor.” Reno Evening Gazette 5 Jan. 1943:14. Print.
- “Balzar Funeral Set For Today.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 7 Jan. 1943:3. Print.
- “Balzar Funeral Conducted Here.” Nevada State Journal [Reno] 8 Jan. 1943: 3. Print.
- “Governor’s Widow Expires Suddenly.” Carson City Chronicle 8 Jan. 1943: 1. Print.
- Myles, Myrtle. “Depression, WW II Governors, Nevada Governors, Part VI.” Las Vegas Review Journal. 7 June 1964, sec. The Nevadan: 24. Print.
- Myles, Myrtle.. “Friendly Fred Balzar.” Las Vegas Review Journal 24 Mar. 1968, sec. The Nevadan: 26-27. Print.
- Myles, Myrtle Tate. “Frederick Bennett Balzar” Nevada’s Governors: From Territorial Days to the Present, 1861-1971. Sparks, NV: Western Printing & Publishing Company, 1972. 95-97. Print.
- Sawyer, Bette. “Nevada’s 100 Years of First Ladies.” Nevada Centennial Magazine 1964:p. 128. Print.
- “Governors’ kids roll call.” Reno Gazette Journal 2 Nov. 1997, sec. B: 2. Print.
- Nylen, Robert A., and Guy Louis Rocha. “Idelle (Sinnamon) Balzar.” State of Nevada: The Historical Governor’s Mansion. Carson City, Nevada: Dema Guinn, the Nevada Commission on tourism, Nevada Magazine, and the Nevada Department of Cultural Affairs, 2005. 36. Print.
- Harpster, Jack, “A Cowboy in the Mansion: Governor Fred Balzar.” 100 Years in the Nevada Governor’s Mansion. Las Vegas, NV: Stephens Press, LLC, 2009. 72-87. Print